Care and Social Development
- To help each child to become independent by, for example,
a) Encouraging and allowing each child to dress and undress him/herself
b) Keeping his/her clothes and belongings in order.
- To teach each child the importance of cleanliness and hygiene, together with the skills necessary for independence in this area.
- To satisfy each child's need for rest and relaxation.
- To provide physical stimulation and opportunity for gross motor development in a balance of both indoor and outdoor environments.
- To promote each child's awareness of seasonal change and teach him/her to adapt to differing weather conditions.
- To develop the older child's capability to be responsible for him/herself when outside.
- To teach each child the appropriate skills necessary for excursions, both as a pedestrian and using public transport.
- To stimulate each child's social awareness, feeling of responsibility for our environment, its natural and man-made attributes.
- To give each child opportunities to experience stimulating, enjoyable activities in natural surroundings.
- To satisfy each child's nutritional needs.
- To encourage good food habits, table manners and considerate behaviour.
- To promote awareness of foods from other cultures. To recognise the foods associated with festivals in English-speaking cultures.
- To encourage active participation in food preparation and consideration of the qualities of healthy foods that provide good nourishment.
- To promote each child's awareness of hygiene requirements when handling and preparing food.
- To teach each child to show consideration, respect and care for peers, teachers and all nursery members.
- To provide opportunities in which each child learns to function in co-operation with others.
- To provide situations in which each child can establish a sense of self- respect and positive self-esteem.
- To encourage each child to accept and understand the routines and expectations established within the nursery group.
- To teach each child to be responsible and realise the consequences of his/her actions.
- To provide situations that are conducive to the development of a sense of empathy in each child.
NOTE: The nursery’s anti-bullying action plan, aims to support children’s social skill development.